- Thomas really loves the Disney movie "Cars". He now has MANY of the toy cars and we watch the movie pretty often. A month or so ago, I was in the kitchen and I heard Thomas playing with his cars in the living room. He whispered, "Come on Doc, Drive!" while acting out the scene in the movie with Lightning McQueen and Doc Hudson. Didn't know he was paying that much attention.....He is.
- Thomas has been saying the blessing before all of our meals. It goes a little something like this: "Dear Dod, thank you food, aaaaaaamen!"
- When Thomas hears me or Shawn ask each other "you ok?", he immediately responds "I'm o-tay, Mama" or "I'm o-tay, Daddy" Well we weren't asking you, son, but we're glad to hear it!
- We've been watching a lot of football lately. Haven't made it to an actual game yet, but hopefully sometime this season we will. Thomas loves to "ta-tle" Daddy. We're working on discerning who, where and when to tackle. i.e. - not at school, please. :)
- Big news! Thomas is now in a toddler bed. For those of you unfamiliar with this, it is essentially his crib, just with the front rail taken off and replaced by a short half-rail so that he is able to get in (& out) by himself. One Sunday night at 6:00pm (1.5 hours before bedtime), Shawn said "let's go ahead and change over his bed" and, as freaked out as I was, I said "okie dokie". We're all about just ripping the band aid off instead of taking it slow. :)
- Lately, if I suggest something to Thomas he responds with "that be fine, mama." Like, ok, that'll work Ma. Just sounds so grown up coming out of that little mouth.
- If you ask what Thomas wants for lunch, you will usually hear "peanut butter and jellybeans, please." If that's not the cutest thing in the world, I don't know what is....
Things are well in the Williams' household. Lots of new things going on. Shawn has started with a men's group at church that meets 6-7:30 on Wednesday MORNINGS! Thomas is doing really well in preschool. No more tears for the most part. In fact, he actually had quite the tantrum the other day because he didn't want to leave! Wow, what a change. I've joined a women's bible study at church once a week while Thomas is in preschool. What a blessing that has been so far! ...and it's only been a few weeks!!! It is definitely where God wants me to be right now. I'm sure of that.
I almost wrote a post the other day titled "I love my son, but I don't like him right now." That is what the last week or so have been like around here. We are in the throws of the terrible two's (I hope) and I am frantically trying to figure out what in the world I'm supposed to do in those really uncomfortable but really important teaching moments. I'm also trying to lower my volume. I've learned, since becoming a mom, that I'm a yeller. I don't like that about myself, but I'm working on it. Any other yellers out there have advice for me?? Whew.... nobody said this would be easy. :)
Here's a cute pic of Thomas coloring before supper the other night.
As an aside, my cousin Keyes became an officer in the Navy this morning. He graduated from Navy OCS today!! Way to go Keyes!! We couldn't be more proud of you. :)

I was a yeller. That's terrible, isn't it? Fortunately the first time you see your son imitating you, you realize how quick you need to change it. Our wake up call was Jeremy yelling at Daniel. I'm still a yeller, but I'm working on it and proud to report it's getting better! I find it super helpful if I make myself crouch down on the ground to talk to the kiddos when I'm upset with them. For some reason it's easy to yell from up high and easier to talk in a reasonable tone when you're at their level. We waited 15 minutes when dropping Jeremy off at preschool today for Daniel to get in his own seat. I eventually had to put force him into it, but proud to say there was no yelling. Yea me! You can do it girl! You're a fabulous mommy!
ReplyDeleteGreat update! I enjoyed your honesty and realness. It makes other moms feel so much more normal! About the yelling- I am telling you, try that 1-2-3 Magic. It really works. Can't wait to make more memories with you in your 30s!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing post. I'm thrilled to hear that Thomas is doing so much better with pre-school. Sometimes I yell, or want to and I usually a) walk away and take a deep breath before re-addressing the situation or b)say a prayer before addressing Lilly.
ReplyDelete