That was my big boy this morning on his first day of preschool.
He is attending two days a week at a church down the road from our house. We had an open house last week where all three of us were able to meet the teachers, other children and some of the other parents as well. That went well as soon as Thomas realized that we were staying to play with him.
I cleaned out his book bag, which has served as our diaper bag for many months now, last night and left in there only the things that he needed for school - a change of clothes in a Ziploc bag with his name on it, extra diapers and his sippy cup, well labeled, of course. I decided to try to do this without E or Blankie. Seemed mighty empty to me, but he's a big boy and doesn't need a ton of stuff anymore, especially when he's going somewhere that has toys and people to play with!
We talked about school some last night and a lot this morning and he was looking forward to it, but peppered the conversation with "mommy leaving" in the most pitiful pouty voice you've ever heard. Here is a short video - "Preschool Day 1 - Before":
After our experience at VBS a few months ago, I was a little nervous but confident that both of us could handle this. So, we left right on time and arrived at school right on time. We walked to his classroom and the tears started. It was a quick drop-off, which seems to work best for everyone involved, but I stood in the hallway to take care of some paperwork at the front desk. I heard him cry a little but not NEAR as bad as VBS. He seemed to be okay, so off I went.
When I returned, he was doing fine and waiting at the door with all the other children. When he saw me he cried a little, but that's the usual, even at church. Mrs. Amanda said that he did great, especially considering it was the first day. I'm so proud of my big boy and I can't believe he's big enough to be doing this already. I feel like real school will be here in the blink of an eye.
Here is another video "Preschool Day 1 - After":

This is absolutely adorable!!!! I love watching him grow up! :)
ReplyDeleteThis could be the cutest blog post ever. You did SUCH a good job with the "Mommy will be back!" in an upbeat tone! He looked so pitiful, but cute! Great job!
ReplyDelete