Friday, April 16, 2010

Big Boy Footsteps

...That is what I hear coming down the hall these days.  It's no longer a pitter-patter.  It's a full-out run on those size 8.5's!  Things that bring Thomas running these days - the sound of the iced tea maker coming out of the cabinet (he helps fill it with ice and put the tea bags in, making sure to leave the tags out); filling up our Brita water pitcher (he helps "carry" it back to the fridge); any of his favorite shows on TV (Handy Manny, Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse, Chuggington, etc.); running his bath.

We also seem to have a pretty polite child, which is nice.  He almost always says "please" and "thank you" and uses them correctly.  We even walked by a stranger on the sidewalk tonight and he said "excuse me" in the sweetest little tone.  The conversation we have most often around this household goes a little something like this:

Thomas: "Hi Daddy!"
Daddy: "Hi Thomas! How are you?"
Thomas: (through a wide grin) "Duhd" or for those of you that don't speak Toddler-ese, "Good"

We have this conversation over and over and over with anyone within earshot.  Daddy first, then Mommy, then grandparents if they're around, one by one.  He gets such a kick out of this simple little conversation.

Speaking of conversation, he really is starting to take off with the talking.  He regularly says two-word (or more) "sentences" and knows how to address the person he's talking to.  For instance, the other day, out of the blue, he said "Happy dayday Mama!"  That's how he says Happy Birthday, and no, it wasn't my birthday.  He'll also say things like, "please Daddy" and "Mama's car go home"...you get the picture.  So cute!

I'm starting to realize that discipline is really starting to become an issue so that is a hot topic in my life right now.  He is starting to enjoy a little more freedom, so listening to Mama and Daddy is becoming even more important.  I'm sitting here looking at a list of 8 books that have been recommended to me over the past couple of weeks.  I'm going to narrow them down and start reading!  I keep telling myself that it won't be an answer that works perfectly from the get go and never fails.  But, I sure do need more info and knowledge on the subject, from a few different points of view!  We'll see what I find out.

Here is Thomas with his friend Lilly at the park.

The weather has started to get warm and we've been spending a lot of time at the park lately.  We just tried a new park this week that was great and we even got to take a nice long walk around the lake with our friend Amanda and her dog, Cooper.  (By the way, we may just put a saddle on Cooper and bring him to Thomas' birthday party. That dog is huge and was a hit with the kids at the park.  He's such a sweet dog!)

The boys of OIB, enjoying some piano time.

We spent Easter weekend at Cherry Grove with the Williams'.  We enjoyed spending time with family and we even got to see Shawn's cousin Jo, her husband and their baby girl, Holly.  We were able to check out Ryan's new ice cream shop in Myrtle Beach and Thomas got a free scoop!  That's the benefit of having an uncle that owns an ice cream shop, I guess!!  We cooked out the last night and broke in Shawn's new cornhold boards.  Thanks mom!!


Thomas rode his first carousel while at Barefoot Landing in Myrtle Beach.
I think he was holding on pretty tight.

We're headed to the NC Zoo for the first time with Thomas tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have some pictures to share soon!  Hope everyone is having a lovely Spring so far!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post Lauren and I love the OIB picture! I would love to have a copy of that one- so sweet. The disciplining thing is a part of it. It is not an easy part, but I know that you are up to the challenge. The more I learn, the more I pray, the more I know that with God's help we can do it together. Don't take any of the books too seriously. I think it is so individual for your individual child. Thomas is blessed to have you as a mommy. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of it. Let me know if you read anything good from the books that you narrow down ;) I'm impressed with the excuse me on the sidewalk and LOVE the cornhole boards.

    ReplyDelete